August 26, 2013

Creativity - Passion - Productivity

Since the blog will be switching over to it's new name at the beginning of September and I will be sharing with you more of my art, I wanted to write a brief post on my thoughts/feelings about art in general. It's such a broad subject; there's little I can cover in just one post, so I will try to be quick. But I thought it would be nice for you to get a little bit of my perspective before I thrust my paint-covered heart upon you.

Anyone that knows me, even a little, knows that my passion in life is art. The big, bold word ART. All forms, all capacities. It's such an important part of my life, and it's a very personal thing for me.
But I do have my opinions about things just like anyone else.
I feel like there are three things that are important to me when it comes to making art.

Creativity - Passion - Productivity
(Sounds like some terrible name for a terribly boring seminar, eh?)

I don't think it's as important to be super clever with your art. Creativity doesn't mean you need your art to be overly deep, clever or dripping with political or social commentary. Creativity means looking at things just a little bit differently. Thinking of ways to put several parts together to make a whole cohesive "thing".
That end result may not be amazing by any means, but that's not exactly what is most important. You won't make a masterpiece with everything that you create, and that's okay.

None of that creativity really matters, though, if you don't care about what you are doing. You can have all of the talent in the world, but if you have no drive to create, what's the point? 
As Stephen King would say, talent is cheaper than table salt. 

Yes, yes, you need creativity, yes you need passion, but neither of those even matter if you are not productive. Making "stuff" is so important to me. I feel like the more things I make, the more it allows me to be creative. I will go into my art room, look at what I have on my shelves and then try to come up with all of the possible things I could make out of those objects and supplies. And I'm not even just talking about making art projects all of the time. Crocheting, DIY-ing, wood-working, jewelry-making. All of these things not only help me to come up with new ideas, but can also be meditative and allow my often jumbled filing cabinet of a brain to calm down long enough to organize those ideas.

So there's a hurried, general idea of whats inside my head while making art. I can't wait to include more art talks after the blog switch. I'd love to hear your thoughts about what is important about art to you!

 photo jillian_zps989fd8cc.jpeg

1 comment:

  1. I love the productivity side of it. Since I've made a genuine, reliable effort to create more, I've been more creative. So, so true!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a little note!