December 10, 2012

Creativity

Creativity can be a finicky fellow. I find creativity has a huge affect on my mood. If I'm feeling a lack of creativity or block, I find myself feeling down. I look at others who are creating and making and wonder why I can't do that. It's a depressing feeling and I loathe allowing a break in creating to make me feel so bad about myself. But lately, I've been trying hard to not let things like this get to me and then I read a lovely quote Ray Bradbury that I felt really applied to this feeling

Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and self-consciousness is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things.

And that is so true, at least for me. I think too much sometimes, when I should just be making, regardless of whether I'm feeling creative or not. Experiment and make things and often, the inspiration will come in the middle of the process. Sometimes you've just got to shut that loud ol' brain down for a bit, I guess. Do any of you guys ever feel like this? I'm sure I'm not the only one. I think artists in general are pretty hard on themselves.
xoxo - Jillian

Keep up with us on...

5 comments:

  1. Hi lovely , I would like to invite you to my Christmas giveaway of animal print Furla Bag. Thank you so much for your time.


    XX Luba

    :: Well Living Blog :: GIVEAWAY :: FURLA BAG :: SORTEO

    http://very-well-living.blogspot.com/2012/12/christmas-giveaway-furla-bag-sorteo.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of us Arties go through this :) I often find myself sifting through your blog, or Kinsey's, or Orchid Grey's and wonder - Why can't I come up with that? I think that is the beauty of art. Striving. A maybe a hint of jealously. Without it, we would not grow. We could not create. You are doing such a lovely job. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can totally relate cause I was feeling like this on Saturday! It's like I really want to make something but i'm not feeling very inspired like I usually am. So I just make something simple, and move on. Not everyday has to be a revolution when you work. Not feeling inspired, that's okay. You can't always expect good, cause sometimes there'll be bad. A little monday preaching I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been feeling the exact same way lately. It's like the thinking overwhelms me to the point of not even trying. Then when I reach the point where I'm forced to preform I'm terrified to even begin for the fear of failing.
    I think this quote will be my mantra through this season.
    I admire your work & it's very encouraging to know we all struggle with the same creativity blocks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a little note!