November 14, 2012

Native American Heritage Month

Today is my birthday.
And so today seems very fitting to share this post. It is Native American Heritage Month. Here is the first paragraph of the proclamation from the President.

As the first people to live on the land we all cherish, American Indians and Alaska Natives have profoundly shaped our country's character and our cultural heritage. Today, Native Americans are leaders in every aspect of our society -- from the classroom, to the boardroom, to the battlefield. This month, we celebrate and honor the many ways American Indians and Alaska Natives have enriched our Nation, and we renew our commitment to respecting each tribe's identity while ensuring equal opportunity to pursue the American dream.

As much as I wish this were true, it isn't. Native Americans in general tend to be below poverty level, are prone to diabetes and alcoholism. It saddens me to see that most of the background I hold so dear has nearly evaporated. So I think days like today are important. Where we look back and remember what America was before it was America. I try my hardest to try and keep the culture alive within myself, researching traditional clothing and trying to replicate them with as much authenticity as possible. 

So this month's charity for the blog is the Native American Heritage Association, which helps feed, shelter, and assist any Native American's in need. 
xoxo - Jillian

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday! I didn't know you were Native American. That is a very interesting fact.

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a little note!