November 09, 2012

Mother/Daughter Birthday

My favorite childhood book was Stellaluna. A story about a baby bat that gets lost, is rescued by a family of birds and tries to fit in. Poor little Stellaluna never really got the hang of being a bird, but in the end she is reunited with her bat family.

For some reason this bat has always felt like a representation of my mother and I. My parents divorced when I was very young. After a terrible childhood with my father, my mother had the courage and intelligence to leave. She went to college full time (sometimes having to take me to class with her, just to make it there), worked full time and tried to heal a young girl that didn't quite understand.
We were lost, but lost together.
I've always felt her and I were just the strange ones in the family. We never quite fit in. We were silly, emotional and just different. She always said to me she was sorry she wasn't a better mother.
I couldn't disagree more. She taught me that no human being should be judged. She taught me that animals and the Earth should be loved and respected. She taught me to be independent and strong.

She was never supposed to be able to have kids. Reproductive issues run in a lot of the women in our family, which I am learning personally now. She always called me her Miracle Baby, and not only was I born at all, but I was a nice little Birthday present for her. Our Birthday's are 5 days apart.

So today, I just want to say Happy Birthday to my mom. I am so lucky to have had her as a teacher and I doubt I'll ever be able to thank her for everything she has done for me.
xoxo - Jillian


2 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful and touching. I'm glad to see that you both have found your way!

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. I'm so glad you posted this! And now, I have to go check out that book because it sounds right up my alley. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a little note!