August 28, 2012

Adventures in Burning Leather

I've had an absolute blast lately working with leather. It's sturdy and soft and makes for some great projects. I was having trouble thought putting holes where I needed them, because the leather I use is really thick. After trying every sharp object I had, and then eventually getting frustrated and just stabbing it with a knife, I went searching for another option. And I realized I could burn a hole in it with the sharp tip of my wood-burner. After that, I also realized if I didn't press down too hard, you can create designs in the leather without burning through it. So now I have all sorts of ideas for leather burning, but this was my first one. Hopefully I can get a little better at it and make more intricate designs. I'm terrible at wood-burning, but leather doesn't have the grain and knots like wood, so it's much easier to create steady lines for me. Anyone else ever tried this out?
xoxo - Jillian


Keep up with us on...

5 comments:

  1. Ooh lovely! If you could somehow put gold (leaf, or paint) in the burnt portions, you could have one for day and one for evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh I've never tried this out.. but it's amazing! You did a great job for one of your first tries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried a wood burning tool on leather, but back at 4-h camp many many many years ago we branded letter with metal stamps. Not having a wood burner myself I made a faux burned look a month or so back which I posted on my blog. I can't wait to hear your discoveries and how things turn out. I think this one looks really great already and I love your designs and leather etsy items. Very pretty!

    Link to that post incase you want to check it out: http://www.handmakemylife.com/2012/06/diy-recycled-suede-leather-wristlet/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried something like that. You inspired me so much! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a little note!