May 31, 2012

Stars in a Can | DIY

I love living in Kansas City. It's not too big, not too small and honestly, has a great arts district. There's always something to do and I love living so close to some of my favorite areas. But...I will say the one thing I miss is being able to see the stars. I come from an extremely small town; the "country", I guess you could call it and as much as I was ready to get out of there the moment I turned 17, I still miss driving down a dirt road at night, with the windows down. Pulling to a stop next to a field filled with fireflies, and staring at the stars. No sirens, no sound at all, except for the cicadas. So I made myself some stars I can enjoy on my balcony! 
All you have to do is get yourself some tin cans, wire hangers and a drill. Make sure and use your drill bits made for metal. Drill a bunch of holes in the cans, and use the wire hangers to make your hooks. You might need wire cutter, but I just used a pair of pliers to break them and then bend them into the shapes I needed. Place candles inside them and you've got yourself some stars in a can. 
xoxo - Jillian

Today is the last day to send in a photo and participate in the contest! Click here for the details!

7 comments:

  1. So simple and pretty-- and cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna try this diy for my garden's lamps!
    http://myvintagecurves.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah this is too cute! so simple and country chic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was just thinking how fun it was back in the day making can lanterns. maybe i'll make some this weekend, too. these look beautiful :)
    sophie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea! I've been wanting some lights on my patio, and this seems like the perfect project I need! Thank you for sharing. I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a little note!