February 29, 2012

Antiqued End Table

It's funny. Sometimes the best way to make something old look new, is to make it look old again.
I had been looking for an end table for the longest time. If I don't have my glasses within arms length when I get up, there's no way I'll make it anywhere in the morning. I found this at a thrift store for $3.00 and thought it would be the perfect opportunity for a project.
Don't mind my cat in the background. They're always very intrigued when I start working on things like this. Plus we had the door open since it was such a beautiful day and they loved that. Anyway! The table started out in pretty good shape. It was just a very bright yellow color. I liked the idea of sticking within that color range, though, so we chose mustard.
We went with a mustard satin finish interior paint and a brown metallic glaze for the "antique" portion of the project.
We took the drawers out, painted the outside with about 4 coats of paint. Then for the antique effect, you just take a paper towel, barely dip it in the glaze and rub it on the area that you want to look antique. Usually around edges looks the most believable. 



I put my wedding bouquet as a small centerpiece; I liked the contrast in colors. I also had an inventory of random knobs from when I did this project. This was my first go around with antiquing something, but I think it turned out pretty well. What do you think?

Want to add more creativity to your day? Like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest!

3 comments:

Thanks for leaving me a little note!