January 27, 2012

Hand-made Headdress

I finally finished my headdress!!
Wow, what an intense project!
 Here's some of the supplies I started with. I cut the leather sheets into a pattern for a cap. I won't go into a ton of detail about the process. I was amazed how long it took just to get everything ready, before any assembly.
 You have to sort the feathers by the direction that they bend, then you have to cut them down to the same length, and shape the ends.
 Each feather had to be individually wrapped in leather, leaving a small loop at the end so they could be sewn onto the cap.

 I used regular beads you can find at any craft store and then actual bone beads I bought at a reservation.
 Here's after most of the assembly, after that was a lot of detail work.

 And then the finished product.

I hope to make another headdress eventually (a floor length one) and after this, I know a lot more about what I'm doing, so hopefully the next one will be better. This one is very far from perfect, but for my first attempt, I think it turned out alright.
I'll have another post later on of a photo shoot I plan to work on with another photographer. 

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving me a little note!