November 22, 2011

Re-purpose your old candle holder

For the first few posts, I'll be putting up projects or ideas I already have finished. Most of the other projects are things I'll be working on progressively. But this first one is super easy. It only took me about an hour to do, including dry time. It's perfect if you have a candle that is down to its last burn. 

Things you'll need for this project are:
- Old glass candle holder (you can also use any sort of glass  container)
- Crayon shavings
- Glue that dries clear (Elmers works great)




I actually used an old set of dried up pastels for this. Either works just fine.

You'll want to make sure your candle holder is clean and dry.  Either take your shavings from a crayon box or if you're using old pastels like me, shave them with a butter knife. It's best to put all of your shavings onto a paper towel so that you can easily mix them up. Once you have all of your shavings ready, take your glue and put a thin coat on the inside of the container using a plastic knife or spoon. You can either coat the entire inside or just places, depending on the effect you want to create.




Once you have your glue on the inside of the container, take your paper towel, covering the top of the jar so none of the shavings fall out and roll the shavings around slowly allowing them to stick to the sides. You'll let it dry for about an hour, depending on the type of glue you use. Your end result should be a lovely stained glass effect. 




You can use whatever colors you choose. Since it is close to Christmas, this could make a great Christmas gift if you use green and red.  

I don't know when my next post will be with the busy Thanksgiving weekend, but look for posts soon that include a Yarn Ball wreath, some cute crocheted baby hats and projects I did for my wedding. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a little note!